Wednesday 20 August 2008

English Rose


Just watched Boris Johnson on BBC's Who Do You Think You Are? Was tremendous. Well worth a watch on BBC iPlayer if you like that sort of think (which my genealogist girlfriend does).


Now Boris is the kind of guy you watch mainly for comedy value (like the Duke of Edinburgh) and he doesn't disappoint. Best line is when he offends the whole of Wales by stating "Prince of Wales? What Wales, England? I mean, Wales, Britain?"


He also presses the point that, despite his "mongrel" European heritage (French, German, Turkish) he has plenty of English blood too.

What was particularly funny when he found out that his great (x6) grandfather was King of Wurttenburg, his great (x7) grandfather was Frederick, Prince of Wales. And his great (x8) grandfather was none other than King George II of Great Britain - which Boris was keen to emphasise, shows his "English blood."


Eh... kinda. Except George II was the last British monarch to be born outside Britain. And he didn't really speak much English.
So Boris is about as English as... the royal family. Good to know!

2 comments:

Sam 21 August 2008 at 18:42  

I'm embarrassed. Oh hold on no need to be, I'm English, he's as close to me as... well the Royal Family!

Benny 29 August 2008 at 09:41  

He was even born in New York! Not incredibly English.

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP