Friday 3 October 2008

Take a drink


I see that Parliament yesterday voted against the Scottish Government's proposals to raise the age at which alcohol can be purchased from off-licences to 21.

The plans were slammed across the spectrum in Scottish society, with all of the opposition parties plus the Scottish Licenced Trade Association, National Union of Students and even the SNP's own youth wing, the Federation of Student Nationalists all presenting opposition.


I guess I'm a bit split on it. I recognise the need for something to be done about the drink culture which stains Scottish society. I'm not convinced these plans were the way to do so - but I do think that the Scottish Government's proposals have provided a way to open the debate, and to explore possible solutions. Also, as a tea-totaller, I can take the high ground on this a bit!


I knocked the Parliament a few weeks ago after the debacle over Wendy's suspension. But yesterday showed how Parliament is supposed to work - or at least, how minority government works. If your plans are popular and you can find support in the chamber, you can pass them. If you can't, they'll fall.

Democracy. A fine thing... when it works.

1 comments:

McChatterer 3 October 2008 at 13:45  

>>as a tea-totaller,
Mmm. Tea.

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP