Friday 5 December 2008

A casualty of European integration?


On the whole, I'm broadly pro-European Union expansion eastwards. Aspiration to membership of the largest free trading bloc in the world aides former communist states in establishing free market economies and helps fledgling democracies to function.

But they've gone and spoiled it now.

When the Russia won the Eurovision song contest in May 2008 on the back of "political" voting from its neighbours, Eurovision "King", Sir Terry Wogan, threatened to quit his role commentating in the UK - a role he has held for 35 years.

Sadly, Wogan, the greatest cynic of his generation, has held true to his promise, and will not entertain us with his dry wit at the next event in 2009. Instead, Graham Norton will take over, which begs the following question:

Who is going to watch it now?

1 comments:

Stephen Glenn 5 December 2008 at 15:34  

A lifrtime of watching Eurovision and every year the highlight was Terry commentary, apart from the snatches of Ken Bruce we used to get when forced to take a bath when younger.

I even had an ex on the phone from Berlin one year as they had to listen to the banter with Terry. I may have to be even more lubricated with the "waters of life" or whatever before even tuning in his Telness is not there.

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP