Tuesday 28 April 2009

My first, my last, my everything...


Thanks to Jeff for tagging me with the Twenty Firsts meme. I suppose since all I'm doing today is reading, I should really play along.

First Job: Paper round. 6 days a week, starting at 6.30am. £14 a week. For four years I should add.

First Real Job: Parliamentary Assistant/ dogsbody for three SNP MSPs. On not much more than £14 a week.

First Role in Politics: Activist I suppose Joined the party in 2004 - talked into it by Nicola Sturgeon and my (now councillor) friend at a leadership hustings in Aberdeen.

First Car: Ford Fiesta. Which is what I currently have as well. But not the same one. This one was G-reg, silver and had a manual choke. They don't teach you how to start that in driving lessons, oh no.

First Record: Record?! Iain Dale's showing his age a bit here. If we're talking CDs, I have a vague recollection of getting Now 29 for Christmas... at age 10/11 The fact that we're onto Now 72 does make me feel a wee bit old. Though my parents do have the original Now that's what I call music on cassette.

First Football Match: I'm pretty sure this was the 1991 Scottish Cup Third Round match between Aberdeen and Motherwell at Pittodrie. Motherwell won 1-0 with Stevie Kirk coming off the bench and scoring a free kick with his first touch of the ball, with about 10 minutes to go I think. But then, I was seven at the time, so how I remember I don't know.

First Concert: This was either the Manic Street Preachers at the Barrowlands or Barenaked Ladies at the Music Hall in Aberdeen. Can't remember which one was first - both were excellent.

First Country Visited: Wales. Though if you want me to "go foreign" as it were, it'd be Spain. A family holiday in Ibiza of all places.

First TV Appearance: I think I was on the news a couple of times when I was wee when they came to the school... but I can't really remember.

First Political Speech: Speaking or listening? I made a five minute political speech to get elected to Stirling Uni student body in 2002. That was the height of my political ambition at the time...

First Encounter with a Famous Person: Pierre Van Hooijdonk signed my Celtic shirt in 1996. I reckon he was famous then.

First Brush With Death: Spectacular car write off in May 2006. Track rod end snapped when going round a corner. Across the road, ending in a ditch, upside down. The damage? A couple of cracked ribs. Lucky, lucky boy.

First House/Flat Owned: That pleasure is still to come (along with the pleasure of a killer mortgage no doubt).

First Film Seen at a Cinema: Remember seeing Batman Forever at a young age, whether it was the first, I have no idea.

First Time on the Radio: Actually helped my mate a couple of times on his radio show at uni... but I reckon I did a couple of sessions on Keith Community Radio when I was still at school.

First Politician I Met: The first? Ummm... Malcolm Bruce spoke to my Modern Studies class when I was at Keith Grammar. That'd probably be it.

First Book I Remember Reading: Bound to be an Enid Blyton one, which one I can't really remember.

First Visit to the London Palladium: Not been there, but I did catch The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway last summer. Excellent stuff.

First Election: The first one I voted in was 2003 Scottish Parliament election (when I was 19) but the first one I was involved with in anyway was probablythe 2005 UK General Election. I was working for Bruce Crawford in Stirling and helped the campaigns both there and in Ochil & South Perthshire.

That killed some reading time. Apparently I should nominate five folks to repeat. So, if you feel like wasting half an hour, on you go Jess the Dog, Stuart Winton, The Right Student, Stephen Glenn and Subrosa.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP