Monday 23 February 2009

A year off the beer

Having read that Scotland ranks 8th in the world in alcohol consumption, I thought it was a good time to reflect upon my year off alcohol.


I stopped drinking this time last year for a couple of reasons - primarily health related. I recently (couple of weeks ago) started drinking again, on the whole because I missed relaxing with a drink now and again - a glass of wine, a wee dram.

I think after I finished my Masters' I saw alcohol as something different. In Aberystwyth, with very little to do, the pub was always a shout and consumption was almost always much more than was good for you. Which, I guess, is the mentality which gets your to eighth in the world.

Now, there's some, with their tongue firmly in their cheek, who will point out that eighth (behind, Luxembourg?! Ireland - understandably - and various other European states) is just not good enough for a country with our relationship with alcohol, that surely if there's one thing we should be world leaders in, it is drinking alcohol. Which, while spoken in jest, points to the attitude and relationship that Scots have with alcohol.

Now I know that Kenny MacAskill's alcohol plans were widely rubbished in the Scottish Parliament, but there is recognition that there is a problem in Scotland with alcohol and a desire to do something about it. Okay the plan might noy have been the way forward, but we need to do something about the dangerous levels of alcohol consumption.

Here's an issue that the parties should be working together on before we do top that league table - but instead, we'll probably get more partisan bickering.

3 comments:

Sam 23 February 2009 at 19:30  

There is very little better than a wee dram. Cragganmore for me please!

But seriously, moderation in all things, and whisky is not the problem. I don't know much about the law you refer to, but more has to be done than just lowering the drink-driving limit. Researching the causes, by which I mean asking the drinkers why they drink so much, has to be the first step. Prohibition-related steps are nothing more than a plaster on an amputation.

By the by, I have spent quite a lot of time in Luxembourg, & can assure you that being behind them is no shame!

PS In case you didn't notice Malc I changed my name for my own blog's purpose. I can't work out if its possible to do it any other way!

Malc 23 February 2009 at 21:42  

I had some Cragganmore the other night. A fine dram.

The law isn't a law so much as a proposal to up the legal age for purchasing alcohol in off-licences to 21. Not going down well with students - and not exactly getting to the heart of the problem. Which, as you point out, has nothing to do with age and everything to do with people's attitudes.

And yesh, I did notice the name change. Is that by deed poll?

subrosa 25 February 2009 at 15:00  

The students protests are being funded by the alcohol industry I believe. No surprise there then.

WV: mismater (quite apt)

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP