Friday 1 May 2009

Ayrton Senna - 15 years on


Fifteen years to the day since the death of racing legend Ayrton Senna at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix.

I can still remember where I was and what I was doing at the time - despite being only 9 years old. And I remember watching racing at the time thinking "this guy is a crazy genius." I doubt there'd be many that would argue with that.

His death - alongside that of Austrian Roland Ratzenberger in qualifying the previous day - brought about a number of changes in driver safety in the sport.

The BBC have a documentary about his life in Formula 1 - which, judging by some of the haircuts, is a few years old. Well worth a wee look though, and you can see it here.

1 comments:

Unknown 1 May 2009 at 12:29  

You've brought a tear to my eye, Malc. The days of Senna and Prost's rivalry were legendary.

You're right - he didn't understand the meaning of the word moderation and pushed everything to the limit the whole time. Truly enthralling to watch.

I remember that Imola race and that awful crash and sitting numb on the sofa waiting for news for the rest of the afternoon. I was a lot more than 9, too....

There had been another accident as well as Ratzenberger's death and he had been very concerned about safety - he was setting up what has now become the GPDA and was going to lead the drivers to campaign for more safety measures.

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP