Wednesday 16 April 2008

Five years on

Short one this - and probably less controversial than the previous one. Today represents the fifth anniversary of the signing of the European Union's 2003 Treaty of Accession which was signed in Athens in 2003. The Treaty saw acceptance of Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia into the EU on the 1st of May 2004. It extended the EU's terroritory and allowed more extensive freedom of movement around the continent for EU citizens.

But has it been a good thing? Certainly for the former Eastern bloc countries, accession to the EU has given them a better economic foothold in the modern capitalist world. But there are those - notably Eurosceptics and other, more right-wing elements - who blame migration from these states for the current problems facing the UK (and other EU states).

So which is it? Well... it probably depends on who you talk to. On this, I'm less than convinced either way. I think the skilled migrants that are here do the jobs residents here do not want to do, and, for their part, try to integrate - often times successfully - into their local communities.

But do I think the EU works for Scotland? That's a post for another day...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP