One more (presumably of many) posts about the US Presidential race - and in particular about Sarah Palin, who, up until 4 hours ago, no one outside Alaska really knew anything about.
5 more facts (in no particular order):
1) She has been married for 20 years and has 5 kids - prior to entering elected politics she described herself as a "hockey mom".
2) She is the first woman to be elected as Governor of Alaska.
3) As Governor she has reached out to Democrats and Independents on numerous issues, claiming to in it "for the people".
4) Her approval rating as Governor is 80% (July 2008)
5) She opposes gay marriage, but vetoed legislation in Alaska which would have stopped benefits to same-sex couples.
To use an American sporting analogy, John McCain has stuck four wide receivers on the field and thrown a long, "Hail Mary" pass. Its a gutsy move. Its a calculated risk. But will it end with an amazing catch or will a bruising run ultimately fall short?
There's still 10 weeks to go in what is going to be a long race, with many unexpected turns from here on in - although this is probably going to top the lot. So I guess we'll find out a lot more about all four candidates - Barack Obama & Joe Biden for the Democrats, John McCain and Sarah Palin for the Republicans - in the coming weeks.
Hold onto your hats though - I think we're in for an interesting one!
16 hours ago