Friday 29 August 2008

The long and winding road


One more (presumably of many) posts about the US Presidential race - and in particular about Sarah Palin, who, up until 4 hours ago, no one outside Alaska really knew anything about.


5 more facts (in no particular order):


1) She has been married for 20 years and has 5 kids - prior to entering elected politics she described herself as a "hockey mom".


2) She is the first woman to be elected as Governor of Alaska.


3) As Governor she has reached out to Democrats and Independents on numerous issues, claiming to in it "for the people".


4) Her approval rating as Governor is 80% (July 2008)


5) She opposes gay marriage, but vetoed legislation in Alaska which would have stopped benefits to same-sex couples.


To use an American sporting analogy, John McCain has stuck four wide receivers on the field and thrown a long, "Hail Mary" pass. Its a gutsy move. Its a calculated risk. But will it end with an amazing catch or will a bruising run ultimately fall short?


There's still 10 weeks to go in what is going to be a long race, with many unexpected turns from here on in - although this is probably going to top the lot. So I guess we'll find out a lot more about all four candidates - Barack Obama & Joe Biden for the Democrats, John McCain and Sarah Palin for the Republicans - in the coming weeks.

Hold onto your hats though - I think we're in for an interesting one!

4 comments:

Jeff 30 August 2008 at 14:21  

3 photos in a row of Sarah Palin? I think you should rename your blog Malc.


iloveSarah.blogspot.com should do it.


After all, if you took such a shine to McCain before, goodness knows what you'll make of his running mate!

Malc 30 August 2008 at 17:16  

Got to take the opportunities while you can... there's only so many photos that my researcher Mr Google can find...

Incidentally, all I'm doing is providing info - and some photos - and letting you all decide about her...

Jeff 30 August 2008 at 23:23  

Well if you're providing photos until we draw conclusions then all I will say is that I remain undecided ;)

Anonymous,  13 October 2008 at 10:45  

'thrown a long, "Hail Mary" pass'

Malc,

Do you mean he's trying to appeal to the Catholic vote? I've thought that for a while, but it might not work!

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP