Monday 1 February 2010

Public Transport

I've been away up north for the weekend.  Fairly good time too.  But, it is a wee while since I've made that particular journey on public transport, and I have a few observations to make.

1)  The Big Issue is a pretty good read when you are on a train. (Note - a pretty good read anyway, but when you're on a train, you have the time to read it).

2)  Engineering works go on at the weekend - and must cost train companies a fair bit of money in replacement buses.  In spite of the horrendous north-east weather, the buses were comfortable - and, importantly, on time.

3)  People are ignorant and inconsiderate.  At least the ones on our train were.  There was the guy who took up a whole table (and two seats - though that was more due to his size than anything) for his laptop, who then proceeded to crunch through a packet of chipsticks and eat a Double Decker the loudest I've ever heard anyone eat.  The woman opposite us (with a ring emblazoned with the word MUM across it in huge letters) who spent the entire time texting and receiving texts - with her phone at full volume.  And there was the carriage full of kids, which was our own fault really - picking the carriage next to the station door wasn't smart.  But seriously, when parents have kids under 5 on public transport, think of ways to keep them occupied and don't let them scream every 5 minutes.

At least the event I was home for was a success - despite the drifting snow, the blizzards and the freezing temperatures.  I'll be hoping the weather changes for the better by March.

3 comments:

Unknown 1 February 2010 at 10:54  

Just a wee fact correction - if the line is closed because of engineering works, then it is Network Rail's fault and they pick up the tab for the buses.

And yes, they always choose weekends because there is less people travelling - the same reason they choose bank holidays, easter and Christmas, despite the papers claiming the usual "misery" for holiday travellers.

Malc 1 February 2010 at 11:28  

Thanks for that. I did wonder how they funded it. Costly business I suspect.

Bill 1 February 2010 at 17:20  

Glad you had a good weekend up northh. Haddo House is great - I sang there as a schoolboy in the school choir (AGS).

Cheers!

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP