Monday 7 January 2008

New Hampshire

On the eve of the first US Presidential primary, it seems logical to start my blog with a bit about the States. Anyone who knows me will know I have a passing interest in the US for two reasons.

The first is that I don't think it matters where in the world you live, the US impacts on your life in some way - be it the fact that your nation is embroiled in a conflict somewhere or the fact that you drink Coke, use Windows on your PC or put expensive petrol in your car. The US matters, and as such, the politics of this hegemonic behemoth matters too.

The second reason is that I'm a huge fan of American football. Although my 4-12 Jets were nowhere near good enough to be in them, the Playoffs have started, and though a Division rival and I hate to say it, I can't see anyone stopping the Patriots on their charge towards an historic 19-0 season and yet another Superbowl.

But I digress. Back to New Hampshire. And it looks from this side of the Atlantic that Mr Obama who trailed the front-running Mrs Clinton for such a long time now has the big Mo. Fresh from pipping her in Iowa's caucus - and John Edwards pushing her into third, Obama looks like the new front runner for the Dems - tho its still early in the year.

The Republican race I think is a little more interesting - mainly coz most of my American friends are Reps. McCain. Romney. Guiliani. Even Huckabee after his surprising showing in Iowa is in with a shout. I think John McCain will win NH tomo, and get his campaign back on track. With Guiliani holding his funds for Super Tuesday and Mike Huckabee taking momentum from Iowa but remaining too conservative for moderate republicans, it looks like Mitt Romney may be the big loser out of the early states... but watch this space as I've been very wrong many times before!

1 comments:

Sam 8 January 2008 at 13:19  

So go on then Malc, bite the bullet and let us know who you want to win the races, and are you Republican or Democrat? Having heard you talk on Samuel Huntingdon I have my suspicions on that!
Looking forward to hearing more of your opinions mate.

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP