Wednesday 17 September 2008

My Suffering Physique

After Jeff's perusal of old MSP photos, I came across this photo of the MSPs after swearing into the first session of the re-constituted Scottish Parliament in 1999. If you follow the link, it will take you to a larger version of the photo and you can pick out some well kent faces a bit better.

Some of the faces (Shona Robison, Nicola Sturgeon, Richard Lochhead - ministers all) look pretty young. Not that they look old now - they just look fairly young in 1999. It was 9 years ago after all. Indeed, Andy Kerr, Jamie McGrigor, even Jamie Stone - all look much younger.

But what struck me about it was not that it was 9 years ago. It was that some of the politicians that you'd perhaps describe as heavyweight now are, well, perhaps missing a bit of that heavy-ness in this photo. A little trimmer around the waistline.


I guess being an MSP isn't all that healthy for you.

1 comments:

Jeff 17 September 2008 at 12:35  

Indeed, I saw a photo of Alex Salmond from several years back and he almost looks lithe.

Base as it sounds, I do believe in the philosophy that a leader should look fit. (West Wing quotes I'm sure you'll enjoy: "I was playing tennis when I heard" or "You wanna see me do some push ups")

Conversely, I read an article on (the remarkably impressive) Stephen Purcell recently and he apparently goes to the gym 3 times a week in the mornings and he looked in great shape. Apparently that hadn't always been the case.

Anyway, I'm sure your impending student diet of pot noodles, digestive biscuits and watching Ironside will have you an even awesomer physique before long Malc...!

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP