Friday 5 September 2008

Why so few women in politics?


Interesting stats for you:

There are 125 female MPs at the House of Commons in Westminster (out of 646) – 19.3% of the total.

Female representation in the Scottish Parliament has dropped from 39.5% in 2003 (what was the second highest in Europe – behind Sweden) to 31.3% in 2008.

Rwanda – with its turbulent history – leads the way with female representation in Parliament on 48.8%. Sweden is second on 47%. The UK Parliament is a lowly 70th position, behind states renowned for their equal rights legislation such as Afghanistan, (29th, 27.7%) Iraq (35th, 25.5%) and China (59th, 21.3%).

And, according to the BBC, at this rate it would take 500 years for female representation at Westminster to achieve parity with men – without some form of positive discrimination.

Last post of the day – something to think about over the weekend.

1 comments:

George 7 September 2008 at 21:26  

Interesting reading, though I wonder how many researchers and 'behind-the-scene' workers are women compared to men. The well used phrase 'Behind every successful man there is a woman.' comes to mind!

I really hope this situation you describe changes soon. I think the election of Sarah Palin to VP in America will go someway in destroying the glass ceiling and will give the drive and inspiration for women to realise their full potential and ambitions.

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP