Wednesday 29 October 2008

Did Georgia commit war crimes?


I read with interest
this piece on the BBC website about the Georgia-Russia conflict earlier this year.

According to the BBC, Georgia "used indiscriminate force and may have targeted civilians."


I'm not going to come across in full condemn-mode because I appreciate that there are difficulties and decisions in combat that we, as civilians, do not come across in every day life. The use of particular force and the targeting of civilians, while shocking and altogether unpleasant, is something which we can not comprehend nor would we want to. War is an ugly beast.


I will say this though. If the BBC's claims are indeed founded in irrefutable evidence, would this alter the Foreign Secretary's view of the conflict? Presumably he'd still think Russia the aggressor and in the wrong - but this evidence, if it is such, would suggest that Georgia is no saint in the conflict either, and perhaps our backing, and that of the EU, should be re-evaluated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP