Wednesday 29 October 2008

Joss Stone and the Queen

Nat readers (or perhaps, "fundamentalist" Nat readers) of this blog may not wish to play the following video - especially if they are in a public area.

It's not one of my favourite songs really - a certain verse and certain symbolism put paid to that - but I couldn't help but enjoy Joss Stone's version of the song, sung before a packed Wembley on Sunday as the New Orleans Saints beat the San Diego Chargers in a sport somewhat unfamiliar to these shores.


I've always thought that, even though Scotland's national "song" - Flower of Scotland - is also a bit of a dirge, God Save the Queen was an anthem that not only failed to capture the spirit in rousing teams up for an international, it was also far removed from the principles that those singing held dear (arguably the monarchy is hardly something John Prescott's "working class" can relate to in many ways).

Anyway, I hope that the Rugby Football Union (RFU) in England were watching on Sunday, as a wee bit of Joss Stone singing the anthem pre-Six Nations matches at Twickenham wouldn't go a miss. I mean, she's no Katherine Jenkings singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, but she's no bad!

Hope you enjoy music - it's only a minute long - and if you don't, please don't leave abusive comments! I'm just the messenger...

4 comments:

- 29 October 2008 at 10:39  

I thought it was fairly awful, but I'm rather more upset about the post you make perpetuating the nonsense myth that a mysterious anti-Scottish verse was somehow ever part of the UK National Anthem.

Sam 29 October 2008 at 11:13  

Even Joss Stone couldn't make that sound good. Hell Edith Piaf & Pavarotti duetting couldn't rescue it. "Failing to capture the spirit in rousing teams" is a beautiful piece of understatement Malc!

Malc 29 October 2008 at 11:14  

I'm sorry, but I did nothing of the sort.

Quote: "It's not one of my favourite songs really - a certain verse and certain symbolism put paid to that"

I don't like the song for its symbolism - based on republican grounds - and the verse which contains the line "rebellious Scots to crush". I never said that it was part of what is usually sung. It is however part of the song and adds to my displeasure when I hear it.

Saying that, I put that to one side when I heard Joss Stone's version - I thought it was modern but jazz, and much better than the dirge it usually is.

Malc 29 October 2008 at 11:15  

And Sam, you're right. I am the master of underselling that!

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP