Wednesday 22 October 2008

Race still a factor in US election

Regular readers will know I've been supporting John McCain in the US Presidential election and that I'm not sold on Barack Obama. I want to point out - just in case there is anyone who thinks that I'm racist - that it is nothing to do with the colour of his skin. I see Obama as a Tony Blair-type, ready to deliver the country change etc - and I'm not convinced that Blair was the 'conviction politician' he was made out to be. More spin than substance any day of the week.

I say that because I came across this video on The Right Student and I worried in case people saw my attitude to Obama as something similar. Nothing could be further from the truth - I have a lot of respect for Obama. Indeed, his announcement that he is to stop campaigning for 2 days to visit his ill grandmother hit home what a decent guy he is. I'm just not convinced by his policy platform - and his public persona - is all.




I hope you are as worried about Americans as I am after watching this - there's some blatant misconceptions/ untruths about Obama in this clip. And there's downright racism too.


Something I wish I was wrong about - but how many of those featured in this clip will use policy to decide who they vote for on Nov 4th? And how many of them will just look at the colour of a one candidate's skin?


Still think the election is over?

Hat-tip: Arnie at The Right Student

2 comments:

Anonymous,  22 October 2008 at 13:52  

I suspect that it is not over for your man just yet.

While the lead in the National Polls seems to be growing in Obama's favour again the swing states seem to be tightening up.

McCain still needs to find something extra from somewhere though.

PJ 22 October 2008 at 14:29  

This is when the kind of polarised racist thinking that Sacha Baron Cohen and many others have exposed for comedy value actually stops being funny, completely.

It's not over yet for McCain - but he can't afford mass coverage of this kind of support. Whether it's endorsed by the Republican Party or not (and obviously it is not!) ultimately mud sticks...

By the way Malc I don't think anybody who regularly reads your blog would think for a moment that you were a racist. Fear not!

Post a Comment

Contact

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have an issue with something you've read here... or if you simply want to debate some more! You can email me at:

baldy_malc - AT - hotmail - DOT - com
Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Comment Policy

I'm quite happy - indeed, eager - to engage in debate with others when the topic provides opportunity to do so. I like knowing who I'm debating with and I'm fed up with some abusive anonymous comments so I've disabled those comments for awhile. If you want to comment, log in - it only takes a minute.
Powered By Blogger

Disclaimer

Regrettably, this is probably required:
This blog is my own personal opinion (unless otherwise stated) and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other organisation (political or otherwise) that I am a member of or affiliated to.
BlogRankers.com
Sport Blogs
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP